Sunday, June 22, 2008

City of the great confluence


I live in St. Louis County. I consider St. Louis the city of the great confluence, because the Mississippi and Missouri rivers join together just north of the city. River traffic once made St. Louis great (it's no longer very great, by most objective measures); Lewis and Clark wintered their troops near the confluence, at the Wood River, the winter before they embarked on the Voyage of Discovery (which was largely a business trip, to get the Indians hooked on U.S. merchandise and networked in with American traders).

I also like confluences. I like it when different things come together. That suits me well. That's what I'll be writing about, here - different things coming together to create something new that continues to further evolve.

No comments: