Sunday, January 18, 2009

POTUS #43: George W. Bush, by Steve Allain


Steve Allain's angry portrait song for George W. Bush on Bush's way out of The White House comes complete with a letter to the soon-to-be-ex president from Steve's MySpace blog:

*
Hey George,

You probably don't get on myspace that much. I'm assuming you're busy doing other things like wiretapping my phone, destroying the environment somewhere, or bombing some random country.

But I wrote a song for you as a farewell present seeing as you will be out of a job soon. Well, I didn't so much write a new tune as I really just reworked an older one. It's probably a favorite of yours. It's "The Star-Spangled Banner," just updated a bit.

I hope you like it. Feel free to download it and listen to it as much as you like. Oh and you can share it with your friends too - Alberto "let's waterboard" Gonzales and Dick "watch your face I've got a gun" Cheney. I also mention them in the song so they might get a kick out of it.

Well, I gotta go. I don't pretend to run a country, but I do have things to do. Hey let's do lunch sometime.

Later,
Steve

*

Free mp3

"The Star-Spangled Banner (Revisited)"
(Steve Allain)
(After Francis Scott Key and John Stafford Smith)
Performed by Steve Allain

*

Steve now lives in Providence, Rhode Island after completing graduate studies in music in Pittsburgh (I think). I know him because he was briefly housemates in St. Louis with Meghan Gohil, our longtime engineer and producer. Steve studied classical guitar at Webster University and can flat out play.

Just before leaving St. Louis, Steve recorded with Meghan a small selection of classic guitar pieces for future use on poetry scores. His adaptation of Dusan Bogdonovic's tune "Mysterious Habitats" became the musical bed for Stefene Russell's reading of "Blind Cat Black," the title track to (you guessed it) our poetry score Blind Cat Black.

*

Also in this series

POTUS #17: Andrew Johnson, by William Tonks
POTUS #18: Ulysses S. Grant, by Waterloo
POTUS #26: Theodore Roosevelt, by Tim McAvin

*

Photo of Bush in Beijing by Charles Dharapak of the Sydney Morning Herald.

1 comment:

pmirkin said...

Awesome. Well thought out. To the point. -----P. Mirkin