Thursday, September 11, 2008

Lyndsey Scott is not an anarchist, no way, baby

It would be a long list, all the good things Jenna Bauer has done for me, but near the top of the list, if not at the very apex, would be bringing Lyndsey Scott into my world.

Lyndsey is a local artist and walking inspiration. She came out to the Taste for Tunes fundraising dinner for KDHX that I cohosted Tuesday night at The Stable. She bicycled over, in a denim bodysuit, from a meeting that should not, under any circumstance, be branded as an "anarchist meeting." She enjoyed a Bear Republic ale on my dime, and I didn't keep track of what else, on whose else dime, and generally made the atmosphere in the bar more vivid, more alive, before bicycling off into the South City night.

I sent her off with a copy of K. Curtis Lyle's poem, "Nailed Seraphim". She knows the poem is posted online on Curtis' new blog - in fact, she said his blog was open on her web browser at home, as we bid good night on Lemp Street - but I wanted her to have a print copy to snuggle up with and dream into. For the third consecutive year (all three years we have done the event, in fact), she is making work for the Poetry Scores Art Invitational. This year, artists are translating Curtis' poem into visual media.

The assignment: make a piece of art that responds to the poem, and title it after a verbatim scrap of language from the poem. "I like the invitation to dwell on one phrase," Lyndsey said, as I handed her Curtis' poem and generally dwelled on how absolutely wonderful in every way this young woman is.

The "Nailed Seraphim" Art Invitational will be held Friday, Nov. 21 at Hoffman LaChance, 3100 Sutton in Maplewood.

Exactly two months before then (on Sunday, Sept. 21), the people will have a chance to bid on a special experience with Lyndsey Scott at the Poetry Scores Experiential Auction: a work/play private session in her studio. Or, as she said in an email,

"... more like a smorgasboard of playtime with Nevertidy in her studio at Lemp?? Possibly including . . . acroyoga, interactive drawing exercises, with output of personalized Hero Doll. Appropriate for all ages. You should come visit me and then you'll know how to word it. ;) Bring Leyla!!!!!!!!!!!!! come playy!"

We'll be taking her up on that, my kid and I, and telling you all about it some time before that there Experiential Auction on Sunday, Sept. 21 at Atomic Cowboy, 4140 Manchester. Bids start at $10 and are open now by contacting me or by dropping a bid in the Comments here.

*

Detail of Lyndsey Scott collage from a bizarrely wonderful goodybag she sent me during a somewhat lonesome interlude in Rantoul, Illinois.

No comments: